Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Barcelona Vacation

If you are a foodie, like architecture, and are looking for a family friendly city, then Barcelona is the place for you!  We just returned from a four day trip and we had a fantastic time!  I took over 500 photos (thank goodness for digital cameras!) and could not get enough of the amazing architecture of La Familia Sagrada, Parc Guell, and Casa Batllo.  I think La Familia Sagrada was my favorite.  It was equal parts divine, bright and organic.  It was like no other cathedral, which I have to admit, was a nice change.  While I love the stained glass beauty of a traditional cathedral, every element of this cathedral felt very intentional, revealing God's majesty with glorious light, sculptures and nature reflected at every turn.  Or perhaps I just need to visit more cathedrals with an audio tour or guide by my side, so I can better appreciate the history and design. :)



 

Parc Guell was pretty amazing.  It is a huge park with so much design infused.  I was in awe of all the rock structures and tile mosaic.  Talk about picking two of the most tedious manners of art!











Casa Batllo was Marty's favorite Gaudi architecture.  Set along a main shopping street with designer stores, this former home is an amazing display of Gaudi's design intent and creativity - inspired by the ocean.




We paced our trip to tailor to two young kids with short attention spans.  Beckham was amenable, as always.  Hayden was 50% awesome, 50% awful.  He was best when he had something specific to do, like looking for the next number on the Casa Batllo guided tour, then punching it into the player.  He was worst when he had free reign to run, like at the Parc Guell.  I had heard from many other moms that it's really the terrible three's and I am in full agreement.  Age two was terrific.  Age three has been an emotional roller coaster - one moment amazing as we watch Hayden learn, one moment hilarious as he says or does something cute, and one moment frustrating as he tests his limits and pushes ours as well. And not stopping our touring for naps certainly doesn't help!

Still, I love that Hayden is always happy, ever so smart and observant, the first to offer help, unafraid to try new things, creative and imaginative, and a loving boy and big brother.

We were fortunate to have found a young woman (with the hotel's help) come to watch the boys for two nights.  For those two nights, we went out to dinner - something much harder to do these days, especially while traveling to a foreign city.  The food in Barcelona - even the quick "fast food" tapas place, was delicious, and right up our alley!  My favorite place was Famen, recommended to us by the hotel staff.  Every dish had perfectly balanced flavors, like my tuna tataki with sweet honey marinated mushrooms.  We also enjoyed meals at Bar Lobo and Isabella's - recommendations from friends who have been living in Barcelona for about a year now.

Granier - Delicious pastries and so cheap
Bar Lobo - must try the eggplant with honey balsalmic!
Pez Vela - Black rice paella with squid and artichoke

Isabella's - Burrata salad with basil oil
Tapa Tapa - Potatoes Brava were delicious!
Famen - Shrimp with sweet chili sauce and potatoes with mint romesco
Salad with baked goat cheese and lychee 
Baked cheese with arugula and sun dried tomatoes
Seared turbot and vegetables
Tuna tataki with honey glazed mushrooms, fried basil
Catalan cream w dried raspberries
 It is amazing to think about how many places and experiences we will be fortunate to share with our boys.  Already, Beckham has been to four European cities, not counting our day trips.  I continue to feel so thankful for this opportunity, for the chance to spend quality time with our boys, and for the blessing to be their parents and have them in our lives.


sleeping cutie at dinner
drawing airplanes 







No comments:

Post a Comment