Friday, April 12, 2013

Zermatt Part Deux



It's been a busy couple of weeks!  We welcomed Grandma and Grandpa Vanderstelt on Wednesday, April 3rd and then whisked them off to Zermatt for four days.  We stayed in a nice little apartment with a postcard view of the Matterhorn.  Our first day of skiing was amazing.  The sun was out and we had a perfectly clear day.  I could not stop taking pictures of our breathtaking views.  Even Hayden enjoyed the view and had fun drawing pictures of the Matterhorn.
 Marty, Hayden and I skied together the first two mornings of our trip.  I continue to be amazed by how good Hayden is at skiing.  We accidentally took a lift up where we had the choice of a Red run...or...a Red run (just below black difficulty level).  We typically have skied Greens and Blues with Hayden but we had no choice, so down we went.  Originally, Marty told Hayden to "follow Mom" but my little boy could not wait for his timid, cautious Mom.  He got to the bottom of the steepest part and then stopped to wait for me. It actually wasn't too bad so I was also proud of myself for making it down without any problems (considering I started on the bunny slope back in December).
















Day two was quite the opposite.  We had thick fog and very little visibility.  It made skiing a bit more challenging.  On the bright side, Hayden accidentally made several jumps while turning a corner too sharply.  Given the low visibility, we mostly practiced teaching Hayden how to control his speed, given he likes to ski a bit too fast.  
Day 1 vs. Day 2 in nearly the same spot


Zermatt is a great town and the skiing was wonderful for our family.  I am hoping we make it back next ski season!






No comments:

Post a Comment