Wednesday, January 16, 2013

Espresso? No, Nespresso!

Well, we have officially given in.  We are the owners of a Nespresso machine.  It's "all the rage," amongst locals and Expats alike, and despite already having an espresso machine, we are looking forward to the convenience and the ease of making coffee using the little gem-shaped pods.  It will especially help when entertaining people with various coffee preferences - something that was harder with our coffee maker whenever someone preferred tea or decaf.

We had taken a look at machines a few months back, and decided to wait for a sale or post on the P&G "For Sale" message board.  Apparently, January is one of two months in Geneva.  So, when a friend called me to tell me she saw machines that were 50% off, I knew I would likely be coming home with a machine.

Nespresso is like the Apple of coffee machines.  Walking into the store, you take a number to be served and there's a digital board which calls up your number.  On this particular day, it was a bit over the top as there were only a few people in the store, but it certainly reinforced the equity of the brand, to go with the pristine beauty of the store. They keyed my information into their computers, registered my machine, and took my order with the service of a hotel.  And as I waited, I took in the artistic display of pods, set into the walls of the store.

Nespresso is so embraced here, that there is even a special recycling section for the pods!




Today, Hayden got in his mind that he wanted to take photos of Beckham.  He started with taking photos using the iPad and then asked for my iPhone.  Beckham was an eager and happy subject!  He has officially caught my cold.  Last night, he was pretty congested and he has had a runny nose all day today.  Much like Hayden, being sick has not seemed to bother him.  His only complaint has been when I try to wipe his nose.



We tried a something new for dinner tonight.  When I saw it at the farmer's market, I thought perhaps it was squid ink pasta, which I have tried and enjoyed.  But it clearly was not, as the woman, who didn't speak any English, tried to explain what it was.  All I could gather was that it had something to do with fish. When I tried to translate the display case tag, I gathered it had something to do with cuttlefish.  Turns out I bought cuttlefish ink pasta - so I guess somewhat similar to squid ink pasta.

I made it with mushrooms and bell pepper and a basalmic vinegar cream sauce.  It ended up turning out pretty good!  On the side, we had a rampon, avocado and pine nut salad and a little pizzette that I had purchased from the store yesterday.  I love embracing local foods and trying to incorporate them into our diet.  This one was a bit fun, given I had no idea what I was cooking with! 



Yesterday, I made an Asian inspired meal - the first since we've been here.  I used my newly discovered tahini to make a satay noodle dish to accompany a soy and ginger glazed salmon.  I found beautiful bright red chili peppers at the store - in a pack of about 20 - and sliced one to top the fish.  Those little peppers packed a punch and were spicier than I expected.  Now I am wondering what I am going to do with the other 19!


Having time to cook has been one of the perks of being on maternity leave.  I remember going back to work after having Hayden and all my energy turned to making food for Hayden.  We didn't do store bought baby food, and instead, I steamed and pureed different foods for him.  Meals for Marty and I became pretty simple, because after a full day of work and only a couple waking hours with the baby, there just wasn't time to spend on our meals.  With the complexities of getting groceries here, and things being fresher (but therefore going bad faster) I have wondered what meals will look like once I return to work.  

We have some friends coming over on Friday for dinner, and I am looking forward to making a nice big pot of chili, especially now that I have finally found a store which sells cheddar!  Too bad there's not any cornbread of "johnny cake" mix (as my brother-in-law calls it) to go with it!

1 comment:

  1. These dishes taste even better than they look if you can imagine that. I have been spoiled. Once Irene goes back to work, I may go into withdrawal. Marty

    ReplyDelete